Race Wrap - May 19th-20th 2012
Ironman Texas, USA
Saturday May 19th
Distance: 3.8 km swim • 180km bike • 42.2km run
Mary Beth Ellis of teamTBB USA captured a dominating win at Ironman Texas the first big Ironman event of the North American season. Despite the hot and humid weather, MBE took the win in course record time besting top US Ironwomen Caitlin Snow and Amy Marsh. MBE had a solid day and was able to get the victory by over 6 minutes. MBE reported in that, "it was a very tough day with hot conditions on the run. I was happy that I battled strong and fought with courage all the way to the finish. I am very pleased to start my 2012 Ironman season with a win on home soil. I look forward to racing Ironman NYC later this year." In addition to MBE, Christie also had a solid day on the swim and bike, but faded a bit on the run. Despite her difficulties, Christie said "I am pleased with this start to my Ironman season and look forward to improving throughout the year. This is my first Ironman in almost 18 months since surgery, and I am still on my road back to full fitness."
On the men’s side, Mathias Hecht had an outstanding race leading the event for most of the day with an outstanding bike course record of 4:18 and a valiant run coming back from an injury in late 2011. Mathias battled hard through the run and finished on the podium in 3rd place. Scotty had a tough day at the office and struggled with some back spasms that forced him to withdrawal after the bike leg. He will be back to battle again soon and is planning out the rest of his Ironman season hoping to steal a podium at a big Ironman event in Europe this summer.
Congrats MBE on your amazing win and Mathias on your 3rd place for teamTBB USA! It looks to be a great start for teamTBB USA and continues upon the amazing start for the team around the world on the Ironman circuit.
Congrats to the entire teamTBB crew!
Find out more: http://www.ironmantexas.com
Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas
Woodlands, TX / May 19, 2012
2.4m swim / 112m bike / 26.2m run
1. Jordan Rapp (USA) 8:10:44
2. Justin Daerr (USA) 8:22:15
3. Mathias Hecht (SUI) 8:22:58
4. Jozsef Major (HUN) 8:27:19
5. Brandon Marsh (USA) 8:30:18
6. Joe Umphenour (USA) 8:36:18
7. Rasmus Henning (DEN) 8:37:23
8. Christian Brader (GER) 8:39:07
9. Matthew Russell (USA) 8:42:50
10. Pedro Gomes (POR) 8:44:53
1. Mary Beth Ellis (USA) 8:54:58
2. Caitlin Snow (USA) 9:01:32
3. Amy Marsh (USA) 9:04:00
4. Corinne Abraham (GBR) 9:18:39
5. Charisa Wernick (USA) 9:27:43
6. Brooke Brown (CAN) 9:47:05
7. Sara Piampiano (USA) 9:47:38
8. Michelle Leblanc (USA) 9:53:59
9. Christie Sym (AUS) 9:55:56
10. Amy McGrath (USA) 9:56:18
Congrats to all who raced IMTX!